Monday, March 29, 2010

America ≠ Heaven

We’ve been learning about the lost boys of Sudan recently. This is my collage I made based on it. My memoir was “Our land destroyed, our souls lost.” I wanted to express their despair and sadness about losing their home and lost. Also, even though they go to a refugee camp and become a migrant to America, their souls are lost because they aren’t at their real home.

In my memoir, I used some picture of the animals that inhabit Sudan. I did this in order to express how they interacted with the wild and lived off livestocks such as their cattle.

Also, I included some people smiling in order to show how they overcame their hard environment and became successful. Also, it expresses how they are going through that catastrophe but still smiling.

Some of the pictures in my memoir are burnt or torn. I used this effect to describe destruction and disaster. Also, the background picture, which was a drawing of the lost boys crossing the Gillo River in Ethiopia and get shot by soldiers from both sides, I gave a cracked effect. I used this to inform their despair and people trying to get rid of them.

My texts tell what happened generally happened to the Dinka boys from their home to America and success. By short words, I tried to tell briefly how the story flows. First, there was the Dinka tribe living peacefully. Then there was genocide and 20,000 Dinka boys were displaced. After 3months of journey, they get to Kakuma refugee camp. From their, some are chosen to go to America. When they get there, America was a different place then they had thought. They faced many conflicts such as racism and lack of education. However, they overcome that heaven like hell and eventually taste success.

Although not all of my text match with my images, some do.

On the left side, I used the text Dinka tribe with some pictures of the actual Dinka people. It just shows that a tribe like that exists. It evokes awareness of those people.

On the left bottom side of my collage, with the text 20,000 Dinka boys displaced, I got it along with a picture of a village burning and the logo of a boy suffering. I wanted to express that they had lost their homes and suffered.

On the top right side, it says success. Although success doesn’t go along with what I’m trying to express, I inserted it in order to tell that there are some of them who actually did success and are living happily.

The general message I want to tell through my collage is the despair and agonies the lost boys face. Also, I mostly composed the collage with images of destruction, suffocation and lost of hope. Also, most of the images that have a smiling face or happy scenes are torn or burnt. This effect shows that their hope is lost and impossible to achieve.



Think creatively

My collage has many creative features in it. In order to show the lost boys tragic past and war, I have used burnt images and burnt part of my six-word memoir. Also, in order to symbolize the Dinka tribes life interacting with the wild , I used images of animals inhabiting Sudan such as ostriches and elephants and the cattles the people raise.

Reason critically

In my collage, the text blends in fairly well with the images and shows the plight of the lost boys. Words such as heaven like hell shows the lost boys thought about America when they face it. Before, they had thought America was heaven. However, as they fit into it, they feel that it is not heaven at all. In order to give the story a flow, the texts are aligned around my collage counter-clockwise.

Communicate effectively

I have increased the awareness of the lost boys plight by using people starving in Sudan and their villages getting destroyed. By using destroyed villages and burning houses I have shown that the Sudanese people are still in danger in many aspects. Also, I have shown by ripping most smiling faces that their dreams and land have been lost.

Live ethically

My collage shows empathy for the lost boys by using images of them depressed and this also enables the viewers to feel empathy for them. Also, some sites for online fund raising and donations are listed in my collage.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1AjPr8UXFk
(This is the Youtube page to my collage: I used it because blogger won't let me upload my video)

No comments:

Post a Comment